STEENBERG 1682 CHARDONNAY CAP CLASSIQUE MAGNUM 1.5LNovember 18, 2016
STEENBERG 1682 PINOT NOIR CAP CLASSIQUE NVNovember 21, 2016
STEENBERG LADY R CAP CLASSIQUE 2018
Wine Club Price R450.00 p/b
Our 2018 Lady R has a pale copper hue. Aromatically, this wine shows hints of red apple skin, desiccated coconut, raspberry pie, almond paste, citrus biscuits and savoury dried herbs. The creaminess on the palate is
complemented by the subtle and refreshing acidity of the wine. There’s a salinity that carries through on the palate alongside restrained pear and cinnamon spiciness. Lady R’s effervescence shows finesse with elegantly
fine bubbles that contribute to the overall texture of the wine. It is seriously structured and shows elegance and beautiful ageing ability.
Pinot Noir – 70%
Chardonnay – 30%
2016 vintage: Platter’s Wine Guide: 4.5 stars | IWSC Silver | Tim Atkin South Africa Report: 93 points
2015 vintage: IWSC: Gold Medal | Tim Atkin South Africa Report: 93 points. | Decanter World Wine Awards: 92 points
2012 vintage: 5 stars – Platter’s Wine Guide 2018 | Tim Atkin South Africa Report: 93 points
Pinot Noir – 70%
Chardonnay – 30%
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 4.3g / litre
TOTAL ACID: 6.4g / litre
Download Tasting notes
|Dimensions||8 × 8 × 29.3 cm|
In The Cellar
Our 2018 Cuvée, Steenberg Lady R, is made in the traditional French method of second fermentation in the bottle and is designated a Cap Classique. The grapes were handpicked at low sugar levels of 18.5 – 19°B and whole-bunch pressed to extract the juice
as gently as possible.
The juice of both the Pinot Noir and the Chardonnay components were low in phenols and high in natural acidity. The juice fermented with a strong yeast strain to form the base wine of the Cap Classique. The Pinot Noir base wine has a delicate light pink
colour with a fine strawberry flavour and makes up 70% of the blend. The remaining 30% is made up of barrel-fermented Chardonnay – fermentation took place in old 600L French oak barrels.
Once the base wine is stabilised, it is fermented a second time in the bottle with a crown cap. This second fermentation creates the bubbles (or mousse). Post fermentation, the 2018 Lady R spent 52 months on the yeast lees before disgorgement in December 2022.
You may also like…
STEENBERG SPARKLING SAUVIGNON BLANC
Wine Club Price R127.50 p/b
This Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc is made to be fun, fruity and fresh. The nose is full and intense with aromas of granadilla, summer melons and a hint of lime. The palate is light and smooth yet with a zippy acidity to lift the tropical flavours of pineapple, pear and guava. A fresh brightness rounds off a delicious and refreshing sparkling wine, a perfect drink for a hot summer’s day.
STEENBERG 1682 CHARDONNAY CAP CLASSIQUE NV – 750MLR220.00 VAT
Wine Club price R187.00 p/b
The 1682 Brut Chardonnay has a pale lemon colour and a delicate mousse. It exudes freshness and pure fruit on the nose, vibrant notes of Granny Smith apple, candied lemon rind and white peach. It is lively on the palate, displaying finesse and complexity with a crisp acidity. Flavours of lemon cordial, honeyed nectarines, toasted croissant and pistachio are evident on the palate. It has a long, yet refreshing finish. This Cap Classique is the quintessential drink for all occasions.
STEENBERG 1682 PINOT NOIR CAP CLASSIQUE NVR220.00 VAT
Wine Club Price R187.00 p/b
Our pale pink 1682 Pinot Noir Cap Classique is fresh with fruity aromas of raspberry jelly, wild strawberry sorbet, red apple skin and toasted brioche. The wine has a very fine mousse that lifts the raspberry-like aromas and is balanced well with a creamy texture and bright acidity with a lingering dry finish. Enjoy in its youth or cellar for
3 to 5 years to promote a more savoury flavour development.
Award pedigree: Amorim Cap Classique 2019: Trophy for Best Rosé MCC in class and Double Gold medal
Steenberg Cellar @ Home Tasting Selection: The Bubbly TastingR1,490.00 VAT
R 1,490 for 6 bottles
Steenberg Wine Club members: R 1,266.50
Rediscover the memories of your favourite wine tasting with Steenberg Cellar @ Home, a tasting room experience in the comfort of your home with a variety of wines available in mixed-case selections.
The Bubbly Tasting includes:
- Steenberg Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc x 2 bottles
- Steenberg 1682 Chardonnay Cap Classique x 2 bottles
- Steenberg 1682 Pinot Noir Cap Classique x 1 bottle
- Steenberg Lady R Cap Classique x 1 bottle
Your tasting selection will include a QR code on the box and inside the box. Scan this QR code to access exclusive tasting videos. These videos feature a selection of personnel from Steenberg who will guide you through your tasting, just as if you were at the farm.